|Clifton Rugby Football Club History||
Clifton Association Football Club
The early days of the Clifton Association Football Club are associated with the Clifton Rugby families Wreford-Brown and Pocock. Its most famous goalkeeper in those days was ex Clifton and England Rugby International James Arthur Bush. He played for Clifton Association Football Club in the late 1880s and early 1890s. Perhaps his most famous season was 1889-90 when Clifton became football champions of Gloucestershire when they beat St. George 5-0 on the 22nd March 1890 at St. George's ground in front of 2,500 spectators. That side also included the former Clifton Rugby player Reginald Innes Pocock. They went on to beat the champions of Wiltshire, Swindon Town, 2-1 on the 29th March 1890 at Swindon in front of 1,000 spectators.
In The Times on 19th December 1891 is the draw for the FA Cup
Reading played Clifton Association in the FA Cup in 1892-93 and 1894-95. See http://www.rob-andrews.demon.co.uk/royals/cups/nl.html
From the 1892-93 season Clifton were forced to leave their home ground, the County Ground, home of Gloucestershire County Cricket Club. Bristol Rugby Club became the sole tenants at the County Ground. Bristol Rugby Clubs fortunes had increased and with it their attendance. Clifton Association Football Club moved to the Chequer's Ground in Kingswood.
In 1895-96 the Western Leagues were as above. Eastville Rovers would become Bristol Rovers in 1898 and Bedminster merged with Bristol City in 1900.
Clifton Association Football Clubs attendances at Kingwood dwindled and the club left the Western League in 1897-98. Their records were expunged and they folded.
Above Captain Ralph Lewis Pratt, right half for Clifton Association Football Club
Boot Manufacturer. Captain 2nd/4th Battallion Gloucestershire Regiment
Killed in action 18th October 1916 aged 41. Buried in grave III.B.18 in the Pont-du-Hem Military Cemetery, La Gorgue