|Clifton Rugby Football Club History||
Thomas Hedley Bruce Burrough
He was born on the 30th April 1910 in Newport, Monmouthshire. He was educated at Clifton College from 1920 to 1928 and the Royal West of England School of Architecture. He also played rugby for Gloucestershire.
His brother was John Dennett Burrough who also played rugby for Clifton and was killed in World War 2 click hereHe became an architect and was articled to Oatley and Lawrence of Orchard St. Active in the Territorial Army in which he was commissioned and awarded the Territorial Decoration. He was called up for War Service in 1940. He trained sappers in the UK most of the war and joined the eighth army when they came over to Italy under General Alexander and went all the way up Italy into Austria when the Germans were retreating. On demobilisation, he resumed as an architect with Hannam and Morris and became architect to the Bristol Diocese. Elected President of the Tribe of Bristol Savages in 1945. Of the modern school of architecture and widely acclaimed for his design of two local churches at Lawrence Weston and the concrete church at Lockleaze. He was also an authority on Georgian and ecclesiastical architecture and was a special lecturer on architecture at Bristol University. He was President of Bristol and Gloucestershire Society of Architects. He was architect to Gloucestershire Cricket Club and designed the Grace Memorial Gates at the entrance to the ground at Ashley Down. He travelled extensively in Europe and launched an appeal which he called "Florins for Florence" for assistance in salvaging art damaged by flooding. He wrote several books including South German Baroque, An approach to Planning and Bristol Buildings.
He married the artist Helen Mary Dickson on the 18th October 1941. They had 2 children John Dennett Dickson Burrough and Hedley Axel Burrough.
In 1946 Tom Burrough formed the company Burrough and Hannam Architects with Francis Hannam. The company is now known as Arturus who are now based on Richmond Hill in Clifton http://www.arturus.co.uk/
His son John Dennett Dickson Burrough was born on the 16th of February 1943. He runs a family website at http://www.broadchalke.info/burrough/index.html
His son Hedley Axel Burrough (Born 18th November 1946, Baptised at St. John's Frenchay on December 29, 1946) married Jeni Walwin and they had 3 daughters Eve, May and Dora.
Above Tom Burrough playing for Clifton Cricket Club. He captained their Sunday 2nd XI from 1957 to 1967.
He designed the Clifton RFC clubhouse and gate ticket booth with drop barrier at the Eastfield Road Ground which opened on the 18th September 1957 by Bill Ramsey, The Hon. Treasurer and Past President of the RFU. Th occassion was marked by a match between the 1st XV and Ben Tuttiet's XV, which won the game 25-0. In Ben Tuttiet's XV were Roger Whyte, who converted 5 tries, and England International John Currie. Also included in the side were guest players from Weston-super-Mare, Bridgwater and Penarth. The clubhouse had taken 21 months from the first suggestion to the opening and had cost the relatively small sum of £5,000
Tom died on the 26th of December 2000.