Clifton Rugby Football Club History
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind

David Llewellyn Rees


He was born on the 15th October 1974 in Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey. He went to school in Gosforth before moving to the Royal Grammar School in Newcastle RGS. He went on to study graphic design and advertising at Manchester Metropolitan University.
He is an all round sportsman, becoming a Northumberland schools sprint champion, a county tennis player and he was nationally ranked in junior table tennis. He represented Northumberland in the 1995 CIS County Cup Final against Warwickshire and played football for Newcastle Boys.

Whilst at University he played for Sale, appearing 44 times for the Cheshire club before moving south to Bristol. He won his 11 England caps while with Sale.

INTERNATIONAL RECORD: English Caps 1997-1999

Career Record: P11, W5, D2, L4, Tries 3, Cons 0, Pen 0, DropG 0

15th November 1997 v Australia (Twickenham) D 15-15

22nd November 1997 v New Zealand (Old Trafford, Manchester) L 8-25

29th November 1997 v South Africa (Twickenham) L 11-29

6th December 1997 v New Zealand (Twickenham) D 26-26

7th February 1998 v France (Paris) L 17-24

21st February 1998 v Wales (Twickenham) W 60-26

5th December 1998 v South Africa (Twickenham) W 13-7 *

20th February 1999 v Scotland (Twickenham) W 24-21

6th March 1999 v Ireland (Dublin) W 27-15

20th March 1999 v France (Twickenham) W 21-10

26th June 1999 v Australia (Sydney) L 15-22

* replacement

His Fourth cap on 6 December 1997 at Twickenham when facing legendary Jonah Lomu. With about 5 minutes gone, New Zealand won a penalty in their own 22. The All black fly-half Andrew Mehrtens kicked cross-field and found Rees on his right wing. Rees counter-attacked, chipped over the head of Lomu. He collected the ball, sidestepped round Zinzan Brooke's cover tackle and scored in the corner. The try sparked England on to a 23-9 half-time lead, though the All Blacks fought back in the second half with the match ending in a 26-26 draw. For more click here

He played in the 1999 World Cup.

In 1999 he moved to Bristol.

He moved to Leeds Tykes in 2003 after Bristol were relegated.

He was selected for the England squad to tour Argentina in 2002.

In 2006, he moved to Newbury R.F.C.

In the 2008-2009 season he joined Clifton Rugby Club.