Clifton Rugby Football Club History
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind

Grounds - Eastfield Road 1926-1976


This ground was purchased in 1923 but it took 3 years to clear the site, lay the pitches and erect the new stand. The stand cost £3,000 paid for by a loan fron the RFU.

Above Eastfield Road Ground shaded pink. Reproduced from the (1951) Ordnance Survey map. © Crown copyright.

Above aerial photograph of Eastfield Road in the 1920s. Eastfield Road runs diagonally to the top right with the playing fields on the north side.

Back Row (L-R): W.Saunders (Clifton's groundsman), J.Pippin of Bridgwater (Referee), J.S.Tucker, T.F.Hood, A.T.Hore, D.McArthur, F.G.Pratten, T.D.Corpe, J.H.Bourne, R.Thomas, H.Shreman, H.R.Wirgman, R.Ling, R.G.B.Quick, H.L.Shepherd, W.G.Francis, W.Rossiter, J.K.Morman. Seated: G.D.McMurtie, J.A.Tucker, R.D.Evans, L.J.Corbett (Bristol Captain), C.N.Hatcher (Clifton Captain), M.V.Shaw, A.M.Stotesbury, E.L.Stinchcombe, C.F.Crinks. In Front: T.Babington, J.H.Bromhead, C.B.Carter, A.F.B.Ham, F.J.Coventry.

Above Members of Clifton and Bristol Clubs that took part in the special match which opened the Eastfield Road Ground on September 11th 1926. Bristol in white. Bristol won 35-6.

Above programme cover and teamsheet from the first match at Eastfield Road on 11th September 1926.

During the celebrations the captain of Bristol, Len Corbett, whilst replying to the toast to his club, advised Clifton to take the game more seriously.

During the World War 2 the ground was requistioned as an Anti-Aircraft gun site.

Above Clifton's Eastfield Road Ground taken post 1957. Image supplied by Jim Gresham.

Above programme cover and teamsheet from the last match played at Eastfield Road v Bristol on Wednesday 7th April 1976. Bristol won 17-15

In 1976 we moved to Cribbs Causeway click here