Clifton Rugby Football Club History
index sitemap advanced
site search by freefind

Inskip Family

 
 
 

2 brothers played for Clifton. The son’s of James Inskip and Constance Sophia Louisa Hampden.

 

Sir John Hampden Inskip

He was born on the 16th December 1879 in Clifton, Bristol. He was educated at Clifton College from 1890-98 and then Kings College, Cambridge. He joined Clifton RFC in 1901-02. He was a solicitor. He held the office of Lord Mayor of Bristol in 1931, and the office of Alderman of Bristol in 1932. He was invested as a Knight Commander, Order of the British Empire (K.B.E.) in 1937. He died on the 8th April, 1960.

Rt. Hon. Sir Thomas Walker Hobart Inskip

He was born on the 5th March 1876 in Clifton, Bristol. He attended Clifton College from 1886 - 1894 and King's College, Cambridge. He joined Clifton RFC in 1895-96. He was MP for Central Bristol from 1918-29, Knighted in 1922 and MP for Fareham 1931-39.

Despite an exclusively legal track record, in 1936 he became the first Minister for Coordination of Defence. His appointment to this particular office was highly controversial. Winston Churchill had long campaigned for such an office and when its creation was announced, most expected Churchill to be appointed. When Inskip was named a famous remark was "This is the most cynical appointment since Caligula made his horse a consul", His appointment is now regarded as a sign of caution by Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin who did not wish to appoint someone like Churchill, because it would have been interpreted by foreign powers as a sign of the United Kingdom preparing for war. Baldwin anyway wished to avoid taking onboard such a controversial and radical minister as Churchill.

He became Viscount Caldecote of Bristol in 1939. He was Leader of the House of Lords in 1940 and Lord Chief Justice from 1940-46. He held many other positions of influence and note throughout his life.

He died on October 11th 1947 at his home, Greystones, Enton, Godalming, Surrey. He was buried at Caldecote, near Baldock, Hertfordshire.