|Clifton Rugby Football Club History||
3 brothers Willaim Joseph Fedden, Nelson Fedden and Henry Fedden, between them had 4 children who played for Clifton RFC.
Robert Agnew Fedden
The son of William Joseph Fedden. He was born abt. 1863. He joined Clifton RFC in 1882
Sir Alfred Hubert Roy Fedden
More commonly known as Roy Fedden he was born on the 6th June 1885 in Bristol, the youngest son of Henry Fedden, a Bristol sugar merchant, of St Mary's, Stoke Bishop, and his wife, Mary Elizabeth, daughter of the Revd Samuel Romilly Hall, also of Bristol. He was educated at Clifton College from 1895 to 1904. He joined Clifton RFC in 1905-06. He appeared regularly for the 1st XV in 1907-08.
At a time when you were expected to join the church or the armed services, Roy Fedden decided he wanted to become an engineer and went to the Merchant Venturers College in Bristol. A profession, that was seen in those days, as little better than casual labouring. His interested in engines started after his father bought a car in 1903, registration number AE4, the 4 th person in Bristol to do so, and the fiftieth in Britain. In 1906 when his apprenticeship was complete, aged only 21, he designed his first car, the successful Straker-Squire Shamrock. He established the engine building department of the Bristol Aeroplane Co in 1920, where he was chief engineer until 1942. Initiating a famous range of piston engines, including the Pegasus and Hercules, he was also notable for his unique development of the sleeve-valve engine. He held a variety of governmental and international posts until 1960, and was president of the Royal Aeronautical Society in 1938, 1939, and 1945. For his role in creating some of the most successful aircraft engines of the era, Fedden was knighted in 1942. At the height of his career in the 1930s, Fedden’s aeroengines powered Britain’s national airline, more than half the Royal Air Force, and about half the other airlines and air forces of the world.
Although Fedden had created a long line of hugely successful engines for Bristol, he had fought constantly with management over funding priorities. Without Butler's influence it seems Fedden "had enough", and shortly after being knighted, he left Bristol to take up a variety of positions within the Government.
On his return he set up Roy Fedden Ltd. in 1945 with Ian Duncan. He then turned to a new turboprop design which also found little interest. Finally they decided to design their own car, powered by a three-cylinder air-cooled radial, but they found it had serious handling problems and tended to flip over when being cornered hard. After this, Fedden worked for a time consulting with George Dowty, but soon retired and spent his time teaching at the College of Aeronautics at Cranfield University.
He was the Uncle of the prominent British artist Mary Fedden. She went on to teach painting at the Royal College of Art from 1958 to 1964, the first woman tutor to teach in the Painting School. Her pupils included David Hockney and Allen Jones. She was President of The Royal West of England Academy from 1984 to 1989.
He died on the 21st of November 1973.
Clement Agnew Fedden
The son on William Joseph Fedden and Ellen. He was born abt. 1867. He was christened on the 16th July 1867 in Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol. He joined Clifton RFC in 1884.
He died on the 8th January 1920, aged 52, and was buried on the 10th January 1920 at Mountain View Cemetery, Vancouver.
The Fedden's buried (name, date died, date buried, plot location) in this cemetery (possible relatives) are
FEDDEN, Clement Agnew Jan-08-1920 Jan-10-1920 MASONIC/*/*/121/0012
FEDDEN, Deliah Genevieve Viola Oct-15-1947 Oct-18-1947 MASONIC/*/*/121/0012
FEDDEN, Dermot Reginald Stewart Oct-27-1966 MASONIC/*/*/121/0011
FEDDEN, Ellen Kathleen Jan-04-1999 MASONIC/*/*/121/0009A
FEDDEN, Quentin E. Jun-11-1930 Jun-12-1930 MASONIC/*/*/121/0011
FEDDEN, Shelagh Amy Geraldine Oct-14-1982 MASONIC/*/*/121/0009A
Robert E. S. Fedden
The only son of Nelson and Annie Fedden of Saltford. He was born abt. 1865. He joined Clifton in 1880.
He died on the 19th June 1943 at Pietermaritzburg, South Africa